October 16, 2009

Did Milan buy Gooch insurance from the USMNT?

Because the Italian team is acting like it.

After the hulking defender tore his patella tendon in World Cup qualifying action against Costa Rica on Wednesday, Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani offered this gem in search of damages from the U.S. national team.
"I'm very angry because once again the national teams take our players and we have to pay the consequences of injuries," Galliani is quoted as saying by Italian media.

"We demand compensation from the American Federation because we cannot pay the salary of a player who cannot play for six months."
Yeah, nice try. Sure there's a huge precedent for that. And it's three to four months.

The report actually had some of the first words I've heard from Onyewu.
"It is a big blow for me. I am devastated.

"After a jump, I did not feel my knee. I knew straight away that I was badly injured.

"But that is life. Hopefully, I will come back soon."
As of some point yesterday, U.S. Soccer claimed to have had no contact with Milan over payment.

Probably because the team knows it's ridiculous, but needed to vent over an injury to a player it never plays.

No comments: