October 12, 2009

USMNT qualifies for World Cup!

I was unsure how I'd react if the U.S. beat Honduras on Saturday. It would ensure qualification to the World Cup -- but shouldn't we expect that at a minimum?

Even the lowest expectations begin at qualification.

Then, after a 3-2 win on the road, I stop thinking. And started drinking, in celebration.

Qualification isn't a gimme. England missed out a ways back. Holland did recently. Have you been paying attention to the recent travails Argentina?

Qualification deserves celebration.

Fortunately on Saturday I was able to catch most of the game on an illegal internet feed -- lock me up cyber police. Unfortunately that means I got to see how damn close the game was and how damn fortunate the USMNT was to escape with three points.

Honduras missed a PK, had a goal called back and numerous attempts in front of the goal.

One of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while had all five goals scored in the second half. Heart rate at a maximum -- luckily the Sounders FC had an off day.

My thoughts on the personnel moves:
  • Was skeptical about Conor Casey (right) for Jozy Altidore in the starting lineup. I even thought the change would come at halftime. Coach knew best.
  • No one in the American defense looked good. Even the ever-reliable Oguchi Onyewu looked shaky at times.
  • Landon Donovan had an absolute class game. He needs to be the captain of this team.
  • It is so nice to have Tim Howard in the back. He's good for at least -1 goals a game for the other team.
All that said, Honduras is a talented team with classy fans. I'd like to see them in the World Cup representing CONCACAF as the regions third team.

Highlights:

No comments: