November 2, 2009

MLS playoff roundup and predictions

Catching these four match-ups in the middle, so each will be half analysis/half prediction...

Seattle Sounders FC v. Houston Dynamo (0-0 aggregate)

After tying 0-0 in Seattle for the first leg, the finale will take place Sunday. The story of the first game was 90 minutes of physical brawling, I think the second leg will be the opposite: some entertaining soccer. Unfortunately for my home team, I think the seasoned, veteran Dynamo side takes care of business at home against the league rookies, winning 2-1 on a second-half goal by Brian Ching after the 70th minute.

Los Angeles Galaxy v. Chivas USA (2-2 aggregate)

Sunday's playoff action finally saw some goals, the the L.A. derby, which ended in a 2-2 draw might've been the best match of the round. Defensive gaffs led to most of the goals, but I think the second leg will be equally as fun. I think the Galaxy have the edge in coaching and talent, so I fully expect Landon Donovan and Co. to advance.

Columbus Crew v. Real Salt Lake (RSL leads 1-0 on aggregate)

Oregon State alum Robbie Findley scored an 88th winner to secure a 1-0 home win for the last team into the postseason field. I don't even think a team with a losing record deserves the chance to win the title but that's for another day. I'm feeling bold so I'm gonna call the upset in this one. Salt Lake battles to a 1-1 draw in Columbus and advances.

New England Revolution v. Chicago Fire (NE leads 2-1 on aggregate)

Another fun match on Sunday saw the Revs come back and win 2-1 on a late Shalrie Joseph goal on a scramble in front of the net. I'm not sure where I want to go with this one. The Fire were on a better team on the year, but clearly not on form at the moment. I'll say the hometown kids pull out a 2-0 win and advance, with McBride and Blanco the heroes.

No comments: